Tips for Hosting a Great Summer BBQ
I love to entertain in the summer. An outdoor party is simple, casual and easy to pull off. Here are a few of my favourite tips for a fool proof backyard party.
1. Nature provides the decoration …but you are required to mow the lawn, weed the garden beds or clean the pool.
2. Enough seating is important…folding chairs solve this problem or add colourful outdoor pillows to patio steps
3. Provide shelter from the sun…buy or borrow a few patio umbrellas, placing them around the yard will encourage your guests to mingle.
4. Music is a must…choose a tempo that will allow your guests to relax and settle in.
5. Entertaining the kids…kids are great at keeping themselves entertained. If you’re worried consider setting up a badminton net, bubble station or colouring table.
6. No one wants to run back and forth to the kitchen…set up an outdoor bar with coolers for beer, drink dispensers for cocktails or punch.
7. Make sure your menu can be prepared in advance…kabobs are great idea, offer a meat, seafood, and vegetarian options. Pasta or potato salads are simple, choose local fruits and vegetables as colourful munchies. A menu such as this will allow you to be a proper host and enjoy the party.
8. If your party goes into the evening, have citronella candles ready and have bug repellent available…no one wants to be driven home by the mosquito’s.
I have included a link to the LCBO Food and Drink Magazine Website. It is a great place to start when planning your menu or deciding on a signature cocktail for your next party. Enjoy!